Monday, November 26, 2012

What is a Ballad?

1. Today you're going to be learning about Ballads.  Go to the following link and check out this ballad written by Langston Hughes

The Ballad of the Landlord

2. After reading the poem by Langston Hughes, watch the video below and listen to the song on YouTube.  It is the song Imagine by John Lennon and it is the number 1 greatest rock ballad of all time.


3. After watching the video, look at the link below and read over the lyrics

"Imagine" Lyrics


4. TO POST
Look at and think about the two ballads you just read.  What, in your opinion, makes up a ballad?  In other words, what do you think makes a poem a ballad?  Why would the two poems above be considered ballads? 

Your post should be at least 2 COMPLETE sentences.  Watch run-ons and make sure you use CORRECT punctuation. 

Also, make sure you only post using your first name, first letter of your last name, and block number.  I will give you an example.  I would post using the name Brittany W-2.  Good luck!

94 comments:

  1. I think a ballad is someones emotions or feeling into a song or poem. The two poems above would be considered ballads because they both use emotion and feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A baled is like a poem but in song form.A poem is a way to expreesyour filling in words.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My opinion in a ballard is a poem that you are supposed to sing. A ballard is about stuff in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the two ballad is about shareing and careing. In the landlord one is about careing and Imagine is about shareing

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that the rhyme and what it talks about makes a poem a ballad. Like in Imagine it talks about hunger and things that would problably be written in a ballad. With them using the rhyme makes it a poem, its the same way in both poems/ballads.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think ballads have words that rhyems and poems is practicallythe same thing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i think balled have at least two or more words that rhyme. I also think that they are poes are the same thing

    ReplyDelete
  8. What makes poem a ballad is the repetiton of words, and the emphasis of words. When making ballad you exagerate the words and it's kinda as if you are singing them because there is so much empasis and exagetation.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The resone they are ballads are because they are talking about life.They are also saying what would happen to the world.

    ReplyDelete
  10. In my opinion, what makes a ballad is rhyme and meaning to it. The two poems above would be considered ballads because the first one rhymes and the second one has a meaning, to have world peace.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The two Ballads Ive just read have Rhymed and have had rythym. A poem rhyme sometimes and have rythym. The poems above would be considered ballads because they both have Rhymes and rythym.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What makes up a ballid is a poem about wourld peis or some thing about governmint

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think ballads are poems that can tell whats happening. or ballads can tell what you want to happen.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think what makes up a ballad is the rythym an rhyme in a stanza.The two poems above would be considered a ballad,because each has a rythym to it an a rhyme in each stanza.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think that a ballad is the rythem of the poem. Thats why both of the poems are considered ballads because they both have really good rythems like the type you put in a song.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think that the ballad is based on a poem and it is way back in time and it has poeple in charege of poeple

    ReplyDelete
  17. What i think makes up a ballad is the idea of that one subject but to put it in other words to describe it. If the to ballads could help you to make a better understanding.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think a ballad is based of a ryhmish poem,because these two ballad's sound like they're ryhming,I think the two poems are considered a ballad,is because that they both ryhme,which is a form of a poem.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I think that theese two songs/poems are ballads becouse, the first 2 lines in each of these selections are the same like "Landlord, landlord" and in the next line it says "Landlord, landlord". And in the song it says in the first line "Imagine there's no heaven", and in the nest line/ paragraph it says "Imagine all the people".

    ReplyDelete
  20. some that sound that same and what will rime and not and what and all of the picture that you can see and the colers that you can see and what it is sianing and not and some that would go good togather

    ReplyDelete
  21. I learend that music and pomes are the same but songs has a beat and pomes do not. But if you know that it is a song you can add the beat to it so it sounds like a song.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I think a ballad is just a poem or a short story that tells about what has happened in the past. On the 1st ballad it told how a black man told the land lord he wasnt going to evict from his house. The song was telling about how people need to have better seeing of the world and how people should always have their arms wide open.

    ReplyDelete
  23. i think what makes a poem a ballad is that they make up somthing true. or they mention somthing that they want to happen in the future.they all say somthing that everyone would want.

    ReplyDelete
  24. yoyo the person how wright the pome. is good at it wrighting . now the video the person is a good singer. they are both balleds becuaes it toke a lot of thinking. for the pome now the video it talks about alot of culiters and things.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I think what makes a ballad is words that sound good together like in a song or poem.
    The two poems above would be considered ballads, because they have a pattern of words that sound the same or go good together,makeing it sound good.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I think rythem from a poem makes up a ballad,and i think that a poem is considered a ballad because it has ryhme, and also rythme. The poems above would be cosidered ballads because it havs ryhme,and rythme just like a poem would have ryhme, and rythme.

    ReplyDelete
  27. The rhymes and continual rhythm make up a ballad in my opinion. They would be considered ballads, because they both use the rhymes. The last word at the end of the second phase and fouth phrase both rhyme in each stanza.

    ReplyDelete
  28. the theme of them and the ruythrm of the poems
    and the struck sure

    ReplyDelete
  29. Why the two of the poems would be considerd a ballad is because they are very catchy and they have body and rythem. All of this makes up a ballad. They both have that so that is why they are considerd one.

    ReplyDelete
  30. 4.) My opinion that makes up a ballad is that a ballad is a poem that tells a fairly simple story it is considered a slow song. They are considered ballads because they a kind of a slow song

    ReplyDelete
  31. I thank a ballads is a short peom.
    Or a short story.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I learned that viedo was great ballads are
    my opinion a ballad is a form of verse that tells you a story is consider a slow song that are prefect never hated.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I think the rhyme makes up the ballad. also i think conflict.It is structured until the final verse where the rhythm changes.

    ReplyDelete
  34. That John Lennon is a good poet.

    ReplyDelete
  35. In my opinion a poem is a ballad because it is strured as a poem.It has the rythem of a poem.In my opinion a ballad is made up of rythem and every last line ryming.The two poems would be ballads because there strucured like one.

    ReplyDelete
  36. why the two of the poems are ballads

    ReplyDelete
  37. What I think that makes up a ballad is a rhyme and a rhythm that makes it sound catchy, this is why a poem is a ballad. The two poems above would be considered ballads because they both have rhyme and they both have a rhythm that makes them sound catchy

    ReplyDelete
  38. I think to make a pome a balled.You have to see if it makess since and if it sounds right.

    ReplyDelete
  39. To me i think its about the repeating of the lyrics and words in the stanzas.But in other words the song has alot of repeating and thats what i think makes it up.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Words that go together and sound good. The poems and ballets both rthyme ,sound good together. So the poem is a ballet because they both rthyme.

    ReplyDelete
  41. What makes a ballad is the words are starting over and over.Poems are a ballad because they repeat the same sound in the poem.

    ReplyDelete
  42. A Ballad, In My Opinion, Is A Real World Poem.
    Poets Taking Real World Problems And Making Them Into A Poem, Grabs The Readers Attention To That Certain Topic.

    ReplyDelete
  43. I think a what makes a poem a ballad. Is that there the same that a ballad is a poem and a poem is a ballad

    ReplyDelete
  44. A ballad is about one topic such as in the ballad "The Ballad of the landlord" it is about a man complaining to the landlord and it carries that through the ballad. Also in the song/ballad "Imagine" by John Lennon, it carries the topic of imagining different things through the song/ballad. They also both show expression to the reader.

    ReplyDelete
  45. I think that poems are used as expressing your self.

    I think that poems also,have a great way of encouraging others.

    ReplyDelete
  46. They repeat what they already wrote before in every other stanza.Like it would say Imagine in the first of the stanza and then It would say it again in the next.Same thing with they poem I read it would say Landlord,Landlord Then It would say it again so I think thats why thier both called a ballad because thats the only similarity I found with both ballads.

    ReplyDelete
  47. A ballad is a poem in song form. One I like is "Imagine" by John Lennon talking about the world.

    ReplyDelete
  48. I believe the ballad is a short song about the world(In the way John Lennon put it). In conclusion, I think that the meaning of ballad is a short song about the world.

    ReplyDelete
  49. I think ballods are short poems that repeat the same words through out the whole poem.The two poems are considerd ballods because both poems repeat the same words through out.

    ReplyDelete
  50. I think what makes a poem a ballad is the beat of it. The beat of a poem makes it intersting to listen to or read.

    ReplyDelete
  51. Dacota E.-5th

    I think that these are ballads becuse they repeat the same things over and over.On the ballad of the landlord it repeats landlord landlored and just adds more and more to it on imagine it repeats imagine and justs adds to it.

    ReplyDelete
  52. I think that what makes apoem a ballad is telling a story.
    what makes these two poems a ballad is their story of our government

    ReplyDelete
  53. I think a ballad is a realistic poem like world hunger. It can can grab the readers attention and make them think about things.

    ReplyDelete
  54. In my opinion a ballad is a poem that tells a story. The two poems would be considered ballads because they both tell a story about something they believe in or something that is wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  55. I think what makes up a ballad is the rhythm of the whole thing because the rhythm makes it flow like a poem, but they call it a ballad. The two poems are ballads because they both have rhythm which I think makes uup a ballad and a poem.

    ReplyDelete
  56. In my opinion, a ballad tells a story. This story can be anything from real world problems to complete and total fantasies. Like all poems, ballads can be transformed into a songs. For example, John Lennon's "Imagine" is a song that is actually a ballad. The two poems are considered to be ballads because of there typically long nature. These poems usually tell a meaningful story.

    ReplyDelete
  57. What makes up a ballad is every other sentence ryhmes with the last word.well a poem is also a ballad cause it can ryhmes and it cannot it can just be words.they should be consider ballad because they both ryhme at the last word at every other sentence.

    ReplyDelete
  58. I think a ballad is a poem that has only a few words per line. I think a ballad is a poem that tells about serious world problems such as racism and world peace.

    ReplyDelete
  59. In my opinion, what makes up a ballad is : stanzas, meaningful lyrics or words, and sometimes rhyming words. The two poems above would be considered ballads because : they have stanzas, they have meaningful words, one of the ballads has rhyming words, and they both are forms of poetry.

    ReplyDelete
  60. In my opinion I think a ballad has to tell a story. Like poems, Poems tell stories of events or personal life situations. So, I think that in order for it to be a ballad, it has to be a poem and tell a particular story!

    ReplyDelete
  61. I think a ballot is made of a poem that doesn't ryhme. I'd consider these poems to be ballods because the last words don't ryhme.

    ReplyDelete
  62. I Think A Ballad Is a Rhyme. And words that sound alike to make a ballad.!

    ReplyDelete
  63. I think a poem becomes a balled when it speakes from a persons point of view. Also when it speaks of one person place or thing.

    ReplyDelete
  64. I think that a ballad consists of rhymes and a sepecific structure.
    Ballads also have to have a story line that tells a specific message.

    ReplyDelete
  65. U can make a poem to a ballad by making it rythem and more rymey and make it sound better.

    ReplyDelete
  66. In my opinion, a ballad is a story in chronological order but in peom form.

    ReplyDelete
  67. 4.I think that ryhme makes up a ballad.

    What i thnk makes a poem a ballad is the beat.

    THE TWO POEMS ABOVE ARE CONSIDERED A BALLAD BECAUSE IT CONCLUDES A RYHME AND A BEAT.

    ReplyDelete
  68. I think that a ballet is a song or message to desribe the way you feel and try to make others feel the same as you do.

    ReplyDelete
  69. In my opinion a ballad is a song written to describe something or telling the way some one lived. I belive what makes these poems ballads is that they describe things.

    ReplyDelete
  70. I well i think that balled would be were someone is trying to make a change in the world to show peoeple that we can change and to help people that is in need

    ReplyDelete
  71. I think that the poems are balleds.becase,they have A,B,C,D,E,F,G and A,B,A,B,C,D,C,D,E,F,E,F,G.

    ReplyDelete
  72. i like the video and song lyrics also the poem it was very good the video went great with the video i didnt get the peom that well but besides that it was good

    ReplyDelete
  73. I think that these poems can be considered ballads becauseyou can put in a rythm and music to make it song.

    ReplyDelete
  74. In my mind i think a ballad is the stuff that makes up a song like the rhymes in a poem or a song.

    ReplyDelete

  75. What makes a poem a ballad is if you can put a beat and some music and turn it into a song.I think that these poems can be considered ballads because you can make them into a song.

    ReplyDelete
  76. I think that a ballad is a type of poetic rythm because it has ryming words. Also I think a ballad is where the words repeat thereselfs

    ReplyDelete
  77. My opinion what makes up ballads are words with feelintgs.

    The two peoms would be considered ballads because there both made up of words with feelings that mean something to that person.

    ReplyDelete
  78. I think that these two poems are considered Ballads because they express feelings.
    The poems use words with feelings expressed by their authors.

    ReplyDelete
  79. I think that the poems are considered ballads because they both are trying to convence you to do somehting. Like in the peom The Ballad Of The Landlord "Ten Bucks you say I owe you?
    Ten Bucks you say is due?
    Well, that's Ten Bucks more'n I'l pay you
    Till you fix this house up new." See it is telling you what to do and the Lyrics from Imagine it is trying to convence you to join them. And I think that Balllads are trying to make you do something or trying to convence you to do something.

    ReplyDelete
  80. What i think makes up a poem a ballad. i think a poem needs to be good,emotional and well written to be a ballad.

    ReplyDelete
  81. A series? of words that ryme or sound the same, and have like stanzas.

    ReplyDelete
  82. Well I think what makes up a ballad is rhythm, repeating, and rhyme. They are considered ballads because they rhyme, rhythm, and repeating.

    ReplyDelete
  83. I think a ballad is a poam or song that explains life events. Like mytholigy, and fables.

    ReplyDelete
  84. In my opinion what makes up a ballad is repeating words, rhythem, and rhyming words, and the two poems above would be considered ballads because the both have all three of these things. What makes a poem a ballad is it sound like a song because the rhyming words fit with the rhythem and repeats things like a song would.

    ReplyDelete
  85. 1.)I think a ballad is a ballad because it could have any type of language(maybe).I think the 2 poems are ballads because they are not like real poems from the tone of of sadness in the voice in the video and the tone of anger in the poem.

    ReplyDelete
  86. 1.)I think that ballad's are what people think or feel.
    2.)How people put the word in each line such as rhyming.

    ReplyDelete
  87. 4.) In my opinion what makes a ballad is something that needs to be done, or like sometnings thats due, or needs to be fixed.
    I think what makes a poem a ballad is because it explains the feelings, the thoughts, or anything, or just tell a story. So I think their similar.
    They would both be a ballad because they have things that were explained above.

    ReplyDelete
  88. I think that what makes up a ballad is rhyming repeating and rhythim thats what i think makes up a ballad.

    ReplyDelete
  89. What I think a Ballad is a ryme in
    a poem that is like this ex. Landlord, landlord,
    My roof has sprung a leak.
    Don't you 'member I told you about it
    Way last week?

    Landlord, landlord,
    These steps is broken down.
    When you come up yourself
    It's a wonder you don't fall down.

    ReplyDelete
  90. 1.I thought that it was great.
    2.I thought that it was great and I realy liked the pics.
    3.I made more sence reading it myself.

    ReplyDelete
  91. 1.) In my mind a poem is a ballad because it rhymes or you can turn it into a song.
    2.) The two poems are considered ballads because they turned them into songs.

    ReplyDelete
  92. what I think a ballat is a rhyme in a poem.

    ReplyDelete
  93. In my opinion I think that repetition and some rhyme make up a ballad,or what makes a poem a ballad.I think the poems above would be considered ballads because they have rhyme and repetition which is what I thought made a ballad.

    ReplyDelete
  94. I miss you Miss Wisecup

    ReplyDelete