Sunday, November 11, 2012

They Were Poets...And Everybody Knows It!

In this class, we will be reading some really amazing poems by some really amazing poets!  In order for you to be able to fully appreciate these poems, you need to know a little about the person behind the pen and paper.  In the links bar on the right, you have been given 5 different poets to choose from.  Once you choose what poet you would like to research, click on the link with their name and follow the steps below:

1. Read their biography (or as much as you can...some of them are pretty long!)

2. Leave a comment on this blog post and tell me:
          a.) At least one new thing you learned about this person, other than when and where they
               were born.  Try to find something interesting.
          b.) What qualities about this person do you think makes him/her a good poet?  This could
               be anything from personal interests to life experiences.
          c.) You must use at least one quote from the text to support your answer in part a.) or
               part b.).

3. If you have extra time when you are finished, go to the next post titled "Cool Poems I have Found" and do what it says.

111 comments:

  1. B. Some qualities that I admire about Shel Silverstein are the fact that he did many things with poems and songwriting. He also did adult comics, which were his first.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Robert Frost
    A.)His father was a journalist.He was born in San Francisco, California.
    B.)His schooling that he did.The way his life was.The way he liked to have company.
    C.) ''He was a loner who liked company; a poet of isolation who sought a mass audience; a rebel who sought to fit in. Although a family man to the core, he frequently felt alienated from his wife and children and withdrew into reveries. While preferring to stay at home, he traveled more than any poet of his generation to give lectures and readings, even though he remained terrified of public speaking to the end..."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alyssa R. (2nd Block)November 12, 2012 at 6:35 AM

    Edgar Allan Poe....The poet whose name might immediately snap in your cranium and send your brain graphic images of gruesome murders and other death-related things...I know much about him, but one new interesting fact that I learned about Poe is that along with his twisted poems, he also wrote a book of scientific theory...I can actually relate to that; since I have my scientific views on life...Qualities that make Poe such an outstanding yet morbid poet are that he had deep issues- not only did he marry his 13 year old cousin and suffer from depression after his mother passed away from TB, but after the man wrote enough poetry to compile a book, he couldn't publish it and became so uberly poor that he had to burn his furniture in order to maintain warmth. I'm sure there were other things that happened in Poe's life that gave him reason for writing, but those were just a few examples.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Robert Frost: One thing that I learned was that his father, William Frost, died when Rob was only eleven years old. The artical said that his dad was a jornalist, which I believe is a quality that might have helped him, that is, if his dad had taught him anything about his work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Trystyn S. 2nd BlockNovember 12, 2012 at 6:43 AM

    Robert Frost:
    2.a The one thing I learned about this poet is that his son, Carrol, commited suicide.
    2.b I think all of his suffering made him a good poet because it gave him something to write about.
    2.c He said, I would've written of me on my stone:I had a lover's quarrel with the world.

    ReplyDelete
  6. a)one new thing that i learned about shel silverstein was that he deceloped his own stle of poetry.
    b.the qualities that make this person godd is that i think he has the mind of a child and children can relate to his poetry.
    c.he stated"i am glad that i didnt have anyone to copy off of.i had developed my own style.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That all 3 of his children died 2 of his girls had a metal breakdown and his son commitied sucide. A quality that makes Robert a poet is that his life has been rough and these emotions lets him express his feelings that make him a good poet."Two of his daughters suffered mental breakdowns, and his son Carol, a frustrated poet and farmer, committed suicide".

    ReplyDelete
  8. One thing I learn about Emily Dickinson is that she had a younger sister named Lavinia and she had a brother named Eward Dickinson that was born on the same day as Emily Dickinson.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kayla P. (2nd Block)November 12, 2012 at 6:48 AM

    Robert Frost:
    A) One new thing I learned about Robert Frost is that he studied at Harvard from 1897-1899 but left without receiving a degree.

    B) Some qualities about Robert Frost that makes him a good poet is that his wife died, two of his daughters suffered mental breakdowns, and his son Carol committed suicide.

    C) A quote to supports that Robert Frost is a good poet from my answer in part B is:
    "Frost also suffered from depression and the continual self-doubt led him to cling to the desire to be awarded the Nobel Prize for literature." This was stated after the biography said that his wife and kids died.

    ReplyDelete
  10. a. An interesting thing I learned about Robert Frost is, his dad died when Frost was only 11. He had to live with his grandfather, luckily his grandfather gave him a good schooling.
    b. I think that Robert's childhood makes him a good poet. His dad died so that gives him something to write about. All of Frost's children died. That would also be a good inspiration to write. Maybe his only way of escaping his rough life was to write.

    ReplyDelete
  11. a.)One thing I learned about this person is that Shel Silverstein was also a songwriter and playwriter.
    b.)I think that Shel Silversteins background in songwriting made him a famous poet. He was able to use his song knowledge in his poems.
    c.)up until his death in May 1999 he continued to create plays, songs, stories, drawings, and poems but in Shel's own words "have a good time."

    ReplyDelete
  12. A thing I learned about this person was that he had a kinda tough life. Qualities that I think makes him a good poet is that he don't give up. ''I'm never serious except when I'm fooling.''

    ReplyDelete
  13. a. Robert Frost whent to Harvard in 1897 to 1899, but he left harvard without graduating and reciving his diploma.
    b. I think all of the jobs he had gives him more expiriences and more things to write about.
    c. "he had a variety of jobs in ten years". "he worked as a latin teacher inhis mothers school.".

    ReplyDelete
  14. one thing i leraned about her is that she was rapped by her mothers boyfriend when she was only seven."Angelou felt resonsible of the death and remaind mute for five years but she also formed a love for language".i thank that she makes a good poet because of her love for langusge and she had a hard life so she can explain her pain.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I learned that Robert frost wife had died in 1938 and lost four of his children.I think that robert frost is a good poet because he had been through a lot in his life time, "his wife died in 1938 and he lost four of his children.

    ReplyDelete
  16. A.) One thing that I learned about Shel Silverstein was that he was a multi faced artist. He professed in illistration, playwriting, screenwriting, and a songwriting. He was also a reowned poet. He is noticed for writing "A Boy Named Sue" for Johnny Cash. He also has written many famous children's books such as "Light in The Attic" and "Falling Up".
    B.) I think that the qualities of Shel Silverstein that make him a good author is:
    *He was alway the kid to the side by himself so I think that when he writes his books and poems that he could relate to what the reader may be feeling.
    *Also since he was a multi-faced artist I think that the qualities of his writings would be constantly changing and always entertaining his readers in creative and new ways.
    C.) “I would much rather have been a good baseball player or a hit with the girls. But I couldn’t play ball. I couldn’t dance. So I started to draw and to write. I was lucky that I didn’t have anyone to copy, be impressed by."

    ReplyDelete
  17. A.) One new thing that I learned about Maya Angelou is that as a civil rights activist, she worked for Dr. Martin Luther King and Malcom X.

    B.) The qualities about Maya that I think makes her a good poet are that she has had a rough past which includes being raped at 7 years old by her mother's boyfriend. She then told about this horrific event and her uncle's murdered the man for his crime. This caused Maya to stop talking because she felt quilty and responsible, so she stopped talking and was mute for a total of 5 years. Then, a woman named Mrs.Flowers finally got her to speak again at the age of 12 and a half. She explained to Maya the importance of education, then she graduated at the top of her 8th grade clas, and turned her life around. Then she started a carrer working in show business as a show girl, actress, etc. She then attended high school and graduated at 17, then gave birth right after to her son named "Guy." Later on, she married a white ex-sailor, but they seperated about 4 years later. She then continued her show business carrer and poetry.

    C.) One quote from the text to support my answer in part b is, "Mrs. Flowers, as Angelou recalled in her children’s book Mrs. Flowers: A Moment of Friendship (1986), emphasized the importance of the spoken word, explained the nature of and importance of education, and instilled in her a love of poetry.

    ReplyDelete
  18. A. One thing I learned about Emily Dickinson that I didn't know before was that she was proposed to before and didn't accept.
    B. I think the fact that alot of her family died when she was young and that she didn't have many friends.
    C. Dickinson's youtuhful years were not without turmoil.

    ReplyDelete
  19. A.)One new thing I learned was she went mute for five years as a child.
    B.)Some qualities I think make her a good poet is that she has had many different jobs, she's seen many different things, and has heard Dr. Martin Luther King speak.
    C.)A quote from her third autobiographies was "worked as a shake dancer in night clubs, a frycook in hamburger joints,dinner cook in a creole restaurant and once had a job in a mechanic's shop, taking paint off cars with my hands"

    ReplyDelete
  20. One new thing i have leared about Emily Dickinson is that she was around death alot because of her friends and family so it provided poems for her to write about she was born on December,10th,1830 she lived in homestead on main street in amherst massachusetts Emily Dickinson is a good poet becaouse she explains how she feels and explains her life storys i am one of the lingering bad ones

    ReplyDelete
  21. One thing that i learned is,she was rapped by her mother's boyfriend when she was 7 years old.When the man was murdered by her uncle for his crime, Angelou felt responsible and stopped talking.Maya Angelou stayed mute for 5 years. She also "worked as a shake dancer in night clubs,fry cook in hamburger joints,dinner cook in a creole restaurtant and once had a job in a mechanic's shop, taking the paint off cars with my hands."

    ReplyDelete
  22. 1.Something new I learned about Robert Frost is that he was born 1874 and died 1963.

    2.what qualities I think are unique about Frost are he wrote about his family, and his life and how he lived it.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Edgar Allan Poe mother and farther were both actors. Then Poe mother died and was buried in a church yard.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Something interesting about Edger Allen poe is, that both of his parents died within three months of his birth. "He died of the age forty on October 7, 1849 his death remains a mystery".
    I think he is a good poet because he makes the most perfect poems he sets the mood just right and makes you feel like your really there in the story.

    ReplyDelete
  25. "I didn't know that Poe died on October 7, 1849 at the age of forty,And that The exact cause of Poe’s death remains a mystery."Some of the quitals that make him a goo poet is "His name Poe brings to mind images of murderers and madmen, premature burials, and mysterious so that is how he is a good poet because his is about deth and mystrie"

    ReplyDelete
  26. a)One thing I learned about Edgar Allan Poe is that he had a brother who was also a poet and that he had a sister who taught penmanship.

    b)I think what made him a good poet was that his mother died of TB and so did his wife and that made him feel depressed into writing suspenseful poems.

    c)I found out using these words in the text about his brother and sister:"Edgar was the second of three children. His other brother William Henry Leonard Poe would also become a poet before his early death, and Poe’s sister Rosalie Poe would grow up to teach penmanship at a Richmond girls’ school."

    ReplyDelete
  27. A)I learned that Maya Angelou stayed mute for 5 years after being "Cuddled then raped, by her mothers boyfriend."
    B)I think Maya Angelou is a good poet because she experienced the unthinkable. She was raped at the age of 7, was a mother right out of highschool, and had multiple jobs.
    C)"When the man was murdered for his crime by her uncles Angelou felt responsible, and remained mute for 5 years."

    ReplyDelete
  28. A. Something intersting I learned about is Emily Dickinson attended Amherest Academy for 7 yrs before entering Mount Holyoke Female Seminary in 1847.
    B. Qualities about this person that makes them a good poet is she wrote for 10 years form 1855-1865.
    C.A quote that supports part a is "After a short time at an Amherst district school, she attended Amherst Academy for about seven years before entering Mount Holyoke Female Seminary (now Mount Holyoke College) in 1847."

    ReplyDelete
  29. A)The one thing I learned about this person is that he wrote "A boy named Sue" For Johnny Cash.

    B)The qualities about this person that might make Shel Silverstein a good poet might be that he didnt have anybody to read and like his work because he was never married. “I would much rather have been a good baseball player or a hit with the girls. But I couldn’t play ball. I couldn’t dance. So I started to draw and to write. I was lucky that I didn’t have anyone to copy, be impressed by. I had developed my own style.”



    ReplyDelete
  30. A) Emily Dickinson and her family lived as tenants in a sold out house for seven years she.B) Had very hard time for seven years but then she went to college.C)Emily's grandparnets sold the house and they had know where to live so they they lived there for seven years.

    ReplyDelete
  31. A. I learned in the morning hours that Poe said "Lord, help my poor soul", and he died.
    B.He writes about death.I beleive that he grew up around death.
    C."Lord help my poor soul"

    ReplyDelete
  32. A.)One new thing that I learned about this person is he studied at Harvard but left without recieving a degree.
    B.)I think what qualities about Robert Frost that makes him a good poet is his love he had for his wife,and his life experiences with his children dying.
    C.)One quote from the text to support my answer in part a.) is, "From 1897 to 1899 Frost studied at Harvard, but left without receiving a degree."

    ReplyDelete
  33. A) I learned that robert frost had 3 children and that they all died of some sort of mental reasion. B) The reasion Robert Frost is a good poet is that he has the same exsperienses as Edgar Allen Poe in death and depression which makes him rite C) Where Robert Frost was depresed his only turn was to rite.

    ReplyDelete
  34. to seek a shelter in a happier star..quote from edger allen poe

    ReplyDelete
  35. A)One new thing I found out about Rodert Frost is after he graduated he attened a collage.

    B)Qualities that I think makes Robert Frost a good poet is when his father died.

    C)A quote from the text to support my answer in part a is "In 1892 Frost graduated from a high school and attended Darthmouth College for a few months."

    ReplyDelete
  36. A.) Edgar allen poe love his threeteen year old cousin ,but she died at the age of 27year old of TB.
    B.)he wrote poets death and got depressed of his wife's death.so he strated writing pomes

    C.) this is a qutofrom the texts life of eger allan poe "The heartbroken Poe’s last few months in the Allan mansion were punctuated with increasing hostility towards Allan until Poe finally stormed out of the home in a quixotic quest to become a great poet and to find adventure"

    ReplyDelete
  37. Makayla D. 3rd blockNovember 12, 2012 at 7:44 AM

    A)One new thing that I learned about Maya Angelou is that she had many cool jobs, In the passage it names one awsome job."Maya Angelou once worked for Dr.Martin Luther King and Malcom X as a civil rights activist."
    B)Some qualities that make Maya Angelou a good poet is that she has had so many experiences such as, "she had a varied career as a ainger,dancer,actress,composer, and was Hollywoods first female black director."

    ReplyDelete
  38. A.) edgar a.poe love his 13 year old cousin, but she died at 27year old.

    b.) he wote poets and so depressed of his wife's death, so he started writeing.

    c.) this is a quto from the text the life of edgar allen poe" The heartbroken Poe’s last few months in the Allan mansion were punctuated with increasing hostility towards Allan until Poe finally stormed out of the home in a quixotic quest to become a great poet and to find adventure".

    ReplyDelete
  39. EDGER A. POE
    i picked the poet Eger Allen Poe wichs life was filled with hate, anger, missery,fear, and death.
    A. I new and interestind fact that i learned is that he had 1 younger brother and 1 older sister. And after his mom and dad died they went somewhere new but he was the only child that didn't go to a new family. He went to a tabacco place to learn how to be a proper bussiness man. but that is not what he longged for.
    B. the qualities of poe's work is so good becouse his life was filled with hate, and missery love and death, his life was a life you would not want to have, His mom and dad died when he was only 3 and he was seperated from his brother and sister. And all his wifes died at a veary young age.
    C. one quote that i found was that " The heartbroken Poe few months in the Allan mansion were filled with increasing hate towards Allan until Poe finally left out of the home in a quest to become a poet and to find a great adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  40. *A POEM*
    The poem that i thinkwas the best is

    ReplyDelete
  41. A:One thing I learned about Shel Silverstein was that he wrote not only poems ,but he wrote music ,plays ,stories ,and drawings.
    B:One good quality that Shel Silverstein had was his idea of haveing a good time in what ever he did.
    C:One quote from the text was "Have a good time."-Shel Silverstein

    ReplyDelete
  42. one thing i learned about the poet is that she liked baking and gardening.what makes her a good poet is that she really speaks from the heart unlike other poets just want to put words together and want them to rhyme. but emily really wants to try to share her emotions with everyone through her poems.she said "i am one of the lingering bad ones".

    ReplyDelete
  43. In 1895 he married a former schoolmate, elinor white; and they had 6 children. There he published his first collection of poems, A BOY'S WILL, at the age of 39.
    I think that the qualities about this person make him a good poet because he wrote a whole lot of different poems and also he worked hard on the poems.
    I would have written on me on my stone: i had a lover's quarrel with the world

    ReplyDelete
  44. What I learned about Robert Frost is that he was married to Elinor White and had six children. One quality about him that makes him a good poet is that often, he made his poems connect to the natural world. In paragraph 4, it says, "Frost's poems show deep appreciation of natural world and sensibility about the human aspirations."

    ReplyDelete
  45. I choose Emily Dickinson
    One thing i learned about her is she was the only one in her family to not join their chruch "I am one of the lingering bad ones."she said.

    Something that i think makes her a good poet is how she put her feelings into things she wrote. Like how she went to so many furnels and wrote about them.

    ReplyDelete
  46. I've learned that Robert Frost married a former school mate,Eline White, and had six childern. Also Frost sold his farm and took his wife and four young children to England.While in England Frost was deeply influenced by such English poets as Rupert Brooke.His wife died in 1938 and he lost four of his children. Two of his daughters suffered mental breakdowns, and his son Carol, a frustrated poet and farmer, committed suicide. Frost also suffered from depression and the continual self-doubt led him to cling to the desire to be awarded the Nobel Prize for literature.At the time of his death on January 29, 1963, Frost was considered a kind of unofficial poet laureate of the US.

    ReplyDelete
  47. One thing I learned about Shel Silverstein that was interesting that he wrote the song "A Boy Named Sue" who was sung by Johnny Cash and he designed "The Cover of the Rolling Stones". Some qualities that make Shel Silverstein a good poet is that he majors in many different subjects. He majors in poetry, playwrighting, illustrator, screenwriter, and songwriter. He also illustrates comics that both children and adult like. Thats how much of his stories are like. would much rather have been a good baseball player or a hit with the girls. But I couldn’t play ball. I couldn’t dance. So I started to draw and to write. I was lucky that I didn’t have anyone to copy, be impressed by. I had developed my own style.”

    ReplyDelete
  48. Well one new thing i learned is Emily Dickinson went to school to be a nun.Why i think Emily Dickinson will be a good poet is cause she has so many interesting things in her life that could be in her poetry.She has good discriptive words.How i now Emily Dickinson was going to college for being a nun is she has been a nun is it says,"She attended Arahmist acadamy for 7 years.

    ReplyDelete
  49. I choose Shel Silverstein as my poet.One thing I learned about him is that his books have been published in 30 diffrent languages.I think what makes him a good poet is that he never intensionally wanted to become a writer.It just happened because he wasn't good at sports or danceing.“I would much rather have been a good baseball player or a hit with the girls. But I couldn’t play ball. I couldn’t dance. So I started to draw and to write. I was lucky that I didn’t have anyone to copy, be impressed by. I had developed my own style.”,I what Shel said about writeing.

    ReplyDelete
  50. A.)I learned that Maya Angelou was slint for 5 years because she was raped when she was 7 and she told her uncles and they killed him and she though her words killed him so she refused to talk to anty one for 5 years.
    B.)I think she is a good poet because, of her experiance when she was little her life behind all of it.
    C.)"angelou was the first black people to to stand up for black wemon rights.
    3.)singin and swining and gettingb merry like chritmas.

    ReplyDelete
  51. A)list at least one thing that you didn't no Is that In 1895 he married schoolmate and the had six childern.



    ReplyDelete
  52. A.I picked Emily Dickinson I have learned.That Emily Dickinson has been in a habit of writing some things of her own.
    B. Emily Dickinson revived a copy of Emerson's Poems.

    ReplyDelete
  53. Robert Frost(a)I think he like to be a farmer becueas he bought a lot of farms (b) he wrote a lot of poems in college. and he is popoler writer (c/b) he was elected to the American Academy of Arts and Letters, Amherst College appointed.

    ReplyDelete
  54. Shel was born in September 25,1930 in Chicago. His real name is Sheldon Allan Silverstein. He wrote songs that Johnny Cash sang. Sheldon was mighty happy he would have been a good baseball player or a hit with the girls he developed his own style he died when he was 69 years old he died in May 1999
    and he wrote a cartoon.

    ReplyDelete
  55. 2.)
    A.)Shel Silverstein knew how to play guitar,write poems,and songs when he was younger he started to draw and write.

    B.)I think what makes him good at writing poems is: He first started writing books for adults and then later on he started for children all around the world in 30 different languages.

    C.)In part B the passage said he wrote poems in diffrent languages.

    ReplyDelete
  56. A.) The interesting thing I learned about Edgar Alenn Poe was that his wife, mother, foster mother, and brother all died of tuberculosis.

    ReplyDelete
  57. B.) I think that the qualities that make Poe a great poet is that all the sadness in his life he is able to put them in poems and make them something that people want to read. " It was there in the winter of 1847, that Virgina died at the age of 24. Poe was devestated, and unable to write for months."

    ReplyDelete
  58. I learned to Edgar A. Poe was adopted and put the people's that adopted him last name as his middle name.Anothere thing I learned is that Poe married his 13 yr. old cuzin Virginia. "Virginia first acted as a courier to carry letters to Poe’s lady loves but soon became the object of his desire."



    Edgar Allan Poe is a good pote because he uses the things that makes him sad, mad,or angery and turns it into a poem.

    ReplyDelete
  59. taking part in church activities, reading books, learning to sing and play the piano, writing letters, and taking walks.

    I think that when she was growing up with all the problems she was had been in would wake her a beter poetIn youth Dickinson exhibited a social flair that retreated as she grew older

    ReplyDelete
  60. 2.A. He never planned to write for children-surpriding for an artists whose children works would be shown in more than 30 languages around the world.
    B. He wrote and drew fantastic books and poetry for children, which soon was spread around the world because of his fantastic children works, he even wrot songs for people like Johnny Cash.
    C. He said once,"Have a good time." mening to have fun in writing.

    ReplyDelete
  61. Edgar Allen Poe was a weird one. He wrote about creppy things. Was married to his 13 year old cousin. May have went mad, but do you really know the man behind the mask? He was really born to travel actors in Boston. Him being gulfic made him a poet because he used all that feelins he had in side of him, and turned them into poems. He put them all together and made books. He wrote about his wife dying or sorrow from whre he was.

    ReplyDelete
  62. A.)I did the poet Emily Dickinson and i found out that she never got married.
    B.)I think what makes Emily such a good poet is that she is different she said "what makes a few of us so different from others?It's a question I often ask myself."Also she had a lot of things going on in her life when she was younger.But, this is why I choose Emily Dickinson.

    ReplyDelete
  63. One new thing about Emily Dickinson is .Domestic duties like baking and gardening occupied her time along with attending school, taking part in church activities, reading books, learning to sing and play the piano, writing letters, and taking walks.

    One pualities about Emily is.Emily Dickinson's formal schooling was exceptional for girls in the early nineteenth century though not unusual for girls in Amherst.After a short time at an Amherst district school, she attended Amherst Academy for about seven years before entering Mount Holyoke Female Seminary now Mount Holyoke College in 1847. She stayed at the Seminary for one year the longest time she spent away from home.

    One good quote about Emily dickinson is
    "They might not need me, but they might. I'll let my head be just in sight, a smile as small as mine might be precisely their necessity."


    ReplyDelete
  64. A. Poe died of unknown cause of death? No one knows what happened to Poe.
    B. The quality about Poe is all the death he has seen to his beloved wives.
    C. " Poe died on October 7, 1849 at the age of forty. The exact cause of Poe’s death remains a mystery."

    ReplyDelete
  65. "It is impossible to say how first the idea entered my brain; but once conceived, it haunted me day and night. Object there was none. Passion there was none. I loved the old man. He had never wronged me. He had never given me insult. For his gold I had no desire. I think it was his eye! yes, it was this! He had the eye of a vulture --a pale blue eye, with a film over it. Whenever it fell upon me, my blood ran cold; and so by degrees --very gradually --I made up my mind to take the life of the old man, and thus rid myself of the eye forever." By:Edgar Allan Poe

    ReplyDelete
  66. My poet is Edger Allen Poe.I liked him. He just set himself out away from eveybody.This is why is why I chose him. A.) A intersting thing about him is that his mother and wife (his yonger cousin)both died from tuberculosis (or tp for short)B.) I think what makes him a good poet is all the suffering that he went thrugh and he puts that pain into the pomes such as the ravon .In this poem the ravon COULD mean pain or suffering

    ReplyDelete
  67. A.)The Poet I Did Was Emily Dickinson.
    Emily Dickinson Was Born On December 10, 1830
    She Died In The Year 1855
    Some Thing I Did Not Know About Emily Is That She Has An Older Brother And A Younger Sister.
    B.)She Was A Very Active And Seemed To Be A Nice Person. Emily Went To A School Then, That Is Now Called Mount Holyoke Collage.
    C.) "After A Short Time At An Amherst District School, She Attended Amherst Acadmey For About Seven Yaers Before Entering Mount Holyoke Female Seminary (Now Mount Holyoke Collage)..."
    That Is My Evidence That She Went To A School Now Called Mount Holyoke Collage.

    ReplyDelete
  68. As a civil rights activist, Angelou worked for Dr. Martin Luther King and Malcom X.She had a very difficult childhood.She wrote a poem on how she came back to America without her son, Guy."I didn't see how the assassination of Malcolm X, the Watts riot, the breakup of a love affair, then the assassination of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., how I could get all that loose with something uplifting in it."

    ReplyDelete
  69. A.Edgar Allan Poe was devistated by all the death was in his life because all of his mothers and his one wife all died by one disease called TB or tuberculosis.
    B.I think because of all the death in his life made him able to write his poems about death and misery because he can relate to his own poems.
    C." In the face of poverty Poe was still able to find solace at home with his wife and mother-in-law, but tragedy struck in 1842 when Poe’s wife contracted tuberculosis, the disease that had already claimed Poe’s mother, brother, and foster mother."

    ReplyDelete
  70. A.I learned that edgar allan poe was sad about all the death that was in his family and all the saddness that he had he was devistated with his life.
    B.I think that he is a good poet because he had bad things happen to him in his life so he writes about his horrible life.
    C.In the face of poverty Poe was still able to find solace at home with his wife and mother-in-law, but tragedy struck in 1842 when Poe’s wife contracted tuberculosis, the disease that had already claimed Poe’s mother, brother, and foster mother.

    ReplyDelete
  71. Mary Angelou


    I learned that the reason she went mute for five years is because she took responibility of the murder her uncle caused for raping his grand daughter.because she said she was raped by her mothers boyfriend which caused her uncle to murder him.

    She read many poems by black writers as she was mute.she started writing after reading poems from black writers

    ReplyDelete
  72. hope-is-the-thing

    Hope is the thing with feathers
    That perches in the soul,
    And sings the tune without the words,
    And never stops at all,

    And sweetest in the gale is heard;
    And sore must be the storm
    That could abash the little bird
    That kept so many warm.

    I've heard it in the chillest land,
    And on the strangest sea;
    Yet, never, in extremity,
    It asked a crumb of me.

    ReplyDelete
  73. A.One thing I learned about Emily Dickison is:
    when Emily was nine years old, her family purchased a house on what is now North Pleasant Street in Amherst.
    B.Qualities Emily has is:
    She is joyful, Cryptic and allusive in style, dazzling in verbal effects, and sensitively her own style of writing
    C."She has Distinguished herself as a
    “joy of Earth”. Cryptic and allusive in style, dazzling in verbal effects"

    ReplyDelete
  74. A. Emily dickingson went to college for more than seven years.
    B.She was a freak,but i think it mightve been that she was afay from home forever.
    C.She stayed at the Seminary for one year, the longest time she spent away from home.

    ReplyDelete
  75. Once upon a midnight dreary, while I pondered, weak and weary,
    Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten lore,
    While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a tapping,
    As of some one gently rapping, rapping at my chamber door.
    "'Tis some visitor," I muttered, "tapping at my chamber door-
    Only this, and nothing more."

    ReplyDelete
  76. Maya Angelou
    A.) Maya Angelou was a very interesting poet. Her "varied career" has lead her in a lot of different directions. However, to me her most interesting feat was that she was involved in film production aside from her writing. She was Hollywood's first female black director.
    B.) angelou was a tremendous poet because of her harsh life experiences. When her uncle was murdered by his crimes, she felt responsible. Because of that, she went mute for 5 years until her teacher convinced her to appreciate speech. After the Civil Right's Movement and Martin Luther's death, she had to write he rmost famous work, "I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings" she had no idea how to respond to the tramatic event.
    C.) For part B, in response to the the Civil Right's Movement, Maya Angelou said, "I didn't know how to write it. I didn't see how the assination of...Martin Luther King Jr. how I could get loose with something upliftimg in it."

    ReplyDelete
  77. Emily Dickincon
    a.) I learned that the Pleasant Street house was located by the town cemetery.The passage said Emily couldn't ignore the frequent burials, but they later provided powerful imagery for her poems.

    b.) The qualities that made Emily Dickison a good poet were the facts that she had a lot of hurt in her life. "Dickinson's youthful years were not without turmoil. Deaths of friends and relatives, including her young cousin Sophia Holland, prompted questions about death and immortality." I think she used these experience to create poems about life and pain.

    ReplyDelete
  78. From childhood's hour i have not been
    As others were; i have not seen
    As others saw; i could not bring
    My passions from a common spring
    From the same source i have not taken
    My sorrow; i could not awaken
    My heart to joy at the same tone;

    And all i loved; i loved alone
    Then- in my childhood, in the dawn
    Of a most stormy life- was drawn
    From every depth of good and ill
    The mystery which binds me still
    From the torrent, or the fountain
    From the red cliff of the mountain
    From the sun that round me rolled
    In its autumn tin of gold,
    From the lighting in the sky
    As it passed me flying by,
    From the thurnder and the storm,
    And the cloud that took the form
    (When the rest of heaven was biue)
    Of a demon in my veiw

    Edgar Allan Poe

    ReplyDelete
  79. a.)one new thing i learned about maya angelou is that she is a singer,dancer,actress,composer,and hollywoods first black female director,but shes most famous for playwriter,poet,editior,essayist,and writer.she also worked for dr.martin luither king jr and malcolm x. B.)the qualites about maya angelouthat makes her a great poet is she has been through hard times and she can express that.

    ReplyDelete
  80. A. Emily Dickinson was born on December 10,1830. She pased away May 15, 1886. She attended college for more then 7 years.
    B.I think that she was a good poet because she didnt talk to anyone for 5 years. Evrey thing that come to her stayed their.
    C."Emily Dickinson,the middle child of Edward and emily norcross dickinson was born on December 10,1830

    ReplyDelete
  81. Shel Silverstein

    A. Shel Silverstein never planned on writing for children – Surprising for an artist whose children’s works would soon become available in more than 30 languages around the world.

    B. The qualities about this person makes him a great poet are that he writes plays and books for childern and that he entertains millions of people around the world! He also won a Grammy Award for "Best Childern's Album!"

    C. “When I was a kid,” he told Publishers Weekly in 1975, “I would much rather have been a good baseball player or a hit with the girls. But I couldn’t play ball. I couldn’t dance. So I started to draw and to write. I was lucky that I didn’t have anyone to copy, or to be impressed by. I had developed my own style.”

    ReplyDelete
  82. ROBERT FROST

    A.) Robert Frost studyed at Harvard for two years but left without reciving a degree. He moved to Derry, New Hampshire, working there as a cobbler, farmer, and teacher at Pinkerton Academy and at the state normal school in Plymouth.

    B.) I think what made him a good poet was he had a hard child hood like when he was about eleven his father died and his mother had to take her job back as a school teacher to support her family.

    C.) "His father William Frost, a journalist and an ardent Democrat, died when Frost was about eleven years old." This suports my awnser to part B.

    ReplyDelete
  83. A. One new thing I learned about Maya Angelou is: She was raped by her mother's boyfriend when she was just seven years old.
    B. The qualities that make Maya Angelou a good poet is: she had a rough childhood, so sometimes when you have a hard life it makes you stronger. She was mute for 5 years because she felt responsible for a man's, that had raped her, death. During that time, she must have really grown as a person and got to find herself. It also says she developed a love for language, even though she stopped speaking. she msut have read alot and wrote alot during the time she was mute.
    C."Angelou describes how she was first cuddled then raped by her mother's boyfriend when she was just seven years old. When the man was murdered by her uncles for his crime, Angelou felt responsible, and stopped talking. Angelou remained mute for five years, but developed a love for language."

    ReplyDelete
  84. a)Her unkles killed a man. b)She was inspired by Martin luther king Jr. c)'Inspired by this message.'

    ReplyDelete
  85. Shell Silverstien wrote is first cartoons when he was a G.I. in Japan and North Korea (called Pacific Stars and Stripes). After he learned how to play guitar he started writing songs including the Johny cash song "A Boy Named Sue". He was also nominated for the Acadamy Award in 1991. In 1984 he was awarded the Grammy for best childerens book-Where the Sidewalk Ends. Silverstien loved to spend time in Greenwich Vilage, Key West, and Martha's Vinyard.

    ReplyDelete
  86. A) Maya Angelou was raped by her mother's boyfriend at the age of 7. After her uncle killed the rapist Maya felt it was her fault. She then stopped talking for 5 years. When she was twelve an educated African American Women named Mrs. Flowers explained to her the importance and beauty of words and finally convinced Maya to speak again.

    B) I think the fact that Maya didn't talk for five years made her a good poet. I think that in the time that she didn't talk she had time to think about life and appreciate our language. As the passage says ," Angelou remained mute for five years, but developed a love for language." I think that staying mute for so long helped her realize how you could use words to create art.

    ReplyDelete
  87. 2a.One thing i learned that was interesting about Shel Silverstein is he wrote his own music and songs and he got rewards for some of his songs.

    2b.Qualities that I think helped this person to become a great poet is their singles that came out like A "Light In The Attic."

    2c.Post is in 2b.

    ReplyDelete
  88. A).Emily Dickinson family moved in with her gradparents and she cooked and,gardened. She attend school,church attivites and,learn how the play piano an sing. B).She got crowed and she lived up stares in the attic all alone and none talked to her and she wrote poet.

    ReplyDelete
  89. Emily Dickinson moved around alot and she liked to bake and gardening. In church she did lots of activites,reading books,lerning to sing and play piano,taking walks and writing letters.One crazy thing she did she went to her attic and came down until she died. She wrote poets and stayed all alone just writing for years.

    ReplyDelete
  90. one thing i learned about shel silverstien person is he served as a gi in the war.i blieve his time in the millitary made him a verey good poet.one of cis quotes is "just have fun".

    ReplyDelete
  91. 2:A:She is insterting becuase She was raped when she was 7 by her mother's boyfriend.
    B:The thing that make her a good poet is..her life experinces with abuse,rape,problems, and the birth of her son.
    C:A quote from the story is.." In Sylvester's opinion, however, Angelou's poetry is "sassy."

    ReplyDelete
  92. 2
    a.she went without talking for 5 years

    b.she was a singer and dancer so she could use lyrics from the songs she sang and make them into poems.

    c."When the man was murdered by her uncles for his crime, Angelou felt responsible, and stopped talking. Angelou remained mute for five years"

    ReplyDelete
  93. One thing that I learned about her is that she was raped at the age of seven. Later on her uncle killed the man that raped her and she felt responsilbe for what he had done and she went mute for five years. But then she over came it by talking with her teacher.

    ReplyDelete
  94. I chose Maya Angelou because her last name was angelou and it was cool.I found out that Maya Angelou was the first female black dirictor. I think she was a good poet because I read the peom "I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings" (1969) and it was very good and i really liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  95. I think what makes her a good poet is that she has been through a lot and so much stuff runs through their head and they have to just let their feelings just poor out.

    ReplyDelete
  96. maya angelou worked for dr.martin luther king.
    i think that she makes a good poet because she has all the experience with all this weird stuff that went on in her life so she has all these ideas to write about because of things that happened in her life. and she has these experiences in her life because she was raped when she was seven and she was mute for 5 years because her uncle killed the guy that raped her.

    ReplyDelete
  97. a)"Sheldon Silverstein grew up to attain an enormous public but prefers to always say very little about himself."
    b)"He never had one to impress or copy so he created his own style of writing."
    c) “When I was a kid,” he told Publishers Weekly in 1975, “I would much rather have been a good baseball player or a hit with the girls. But I couldn’t play ball. I couldn’t dance. So I started to draw and to write. I was lucky that I didn’t have anyone to copy, be impressed by. I had developed my own style.”

    ReplyDelete
  98. "He grew up in Chicago and created his first cartoons for the adult readers of Pacific Stars and Stripes."He died in 1999.He made a song for Johnny Cash called "A Boy Named Sue."He makes poems feel fun for kids.

    ReplyDelete
  99. A.Dickinson was never married!

    b.She had a hard childhood, which enspired her to write about her childhood.

    c.I’ve been in the habit myself of writing some few things, and it rather appears to me that you’re getting away my patent, so you’d better be somewhat careful, or I’ll call the police!” (L110) Her earliest extant writings—both are Valentines and uncharacteristic of her later work--were published anonymously during this period. A letter ("Magnum bonum, harem scarum") appeared in the Amherst College student publication The Indicator in 1850, and a poem "'Sic transit gloria mundi,'"

    ReplyDelete
  100. 2a.she became the spokes person for blacksand women.
    b.she was weirid
    c. Angelou’s most famous work, I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings (1969), deals with her early years in Long Beach, St. Louis and Stamps, Arkansas, where she lived with her brother and paternal grandmother.

    ReplyDelete
  101. "I didn't know how to write it," she said. "I didn't see how the assassination of Malcolm [X], the Watts riot, the breakup of a love affair, then [the assassination of Dr.] Martin [Luther] King [Jr.], how I could get all that loose with something uplifting in it."

    ReplyDelete
  102. One thing that i learned about Maya Angelou that i didn't already know and i found interesting is that she was raped by her mother's boyfriend and her uncles killed him for his crime so she felt responsible for his death and didn't talk for 5 years, went completely mute! The qualities about her that i think that make her a good poet are how she had so many experiences,jobs and she had to stand for her civil rights with Dr.Martin Luther King and Malcom X i think that all of this gave her many things to express in her poetry. A quote from Maya Angelou is "I didn't see how the assassination of Malcolm [X], the Watts riot, the breakup of a love affair, then [the assassination of Dr.] Martin [Luther] King [Jr.], how I could get all that loose with something uplifting in it."

    ReplyDelete
  103. 2. A, Maya Angelou didnt speak for 5 years,her teacher finally got her to speak when she was 12.
    B.How she sang in night clubs, she could get thoughts about poems, and them make poems. She could take lyrics and form a poem.
    C."Singin' and Swingin' and gettin merry like christmas" was one song she sang.

    ReplyDelete
  104. A. in England frost was deeply influenced by such poets.

    B. He was crazy and he had a mind of his self.

    C.While in England Frost was deeply influenced by such English poets as Rupert Brooke. After returning to the US in 1915 with his family, Frost bought a farm near Franconia, New Hampshire. When the editor of The Atlantic Monthly asked for poems, he gave the very ones that had previously been rejected. Frost taught later at Amherst College (1916-38) and Michigan universities. In 1916 he was made a member of the National Institute of Arts and Letters. On the same year appeared his third collection of verse, MOUNTAIN INTERVAL, which contained such poems as 'The Road Not Taken,' 'The Oven Bird,' 'Birches,' and 'The Hill Wife.

    ReplyDelete
  105. I chose the poet Maya Angelou because I got interested when Ms.Wiscup said this girl woulden't talk for 5 years and it made me wonder why so I read her bibliography and i figured out why she woulden't talk and the new thing I learned is that she was first cuddled then raped by her mothers boyfriend, and after that the man was murdered by her uncles, and Maya felt responsible. So she stayed muted for 5 years and then an educated women Mrs.Flowers conviced her to talk. Thats the new thing that I learned.

    ReplyDelete
  106. a)after Poe’s birth both of his parents had died,and he was taken in by the wealthy tobacco merchant John Allan and his wife Frances Valentine Allan in Richmond, Virginia while Poe’s siblings went to live with other families. Mr. Allan would rear Poe to be abusinessman and a Virginia gentleman.

    b)He as the freakest mind ever
    c)In 1826 Poe left Richmond to attend the University of Virginia, where he excelled in his classes while accumulating considerable debt.

    ReplyDelete
  107. A.Maya Angelou was the first female black director as well as a poet.
    B.As a young girl, Maya was raped by her mothers boyfreind. Her uncle then murderd him and she felt responcible and went mute for five years.
    C."I didn't see how the assassination of Malcolm [X], the Watts riot, the breakup of a love affair, then [the assassination of Dr.] Martin [Luther] King [Jr.], how I could get all that loose with something uplifting in it."

    ReplyDelete
  108. Robert frost was born in 1874 san francisco california. ot makes him a good poet because he uses good writing and the way he writes and how it all blends together one of his quotes is (a bank is where you lend your umbrella in fair weather and ask for it back when it begins to rain)

    ReplyDelete
  109. What I think makes Maya Angelou a good poet is that she has problems in her life so she is able to think about her life and get good ideas for poems, she had a very sad life so that made her a good poet cause it gives her ideas. Thats what I think.

    ReplyDelete
  110. A.) I learned that Emily was very close to her barother and sister. She usually wore white and people believed that she was a ghost.
    B.)She was usually happy about life, and that can be very useful when it comes to poetry.
    C.)I expect I shall be the belle of Amherst when I reach my 17th year.

    ReplyDelete
  111. "Poe's foster mother, brother, wife, and mother died from tuberculosis." I think Poe is a funny, silly, and weird person (just like me!).

    ReplyDelete